Seven Things God Hates The Most
- A Proud Look – “haughty eyes”
Pride is the primary sin (James 4:6). It was through pride that the Devil fell. What an insidious thing pride is! That is why the Apostle Peter speaks about the virtue of humility (1 Peter 3:4; 5:5). What did Jesus say in Matthew 11:29-30?
- A Lying Tongue
But surely Christians do not lie? Unfortunately they do sometimes. But surely it’s alright to tell ‘white’ lies? Is it? God hates ”a lying tongue”. But surely it’s impossible to get on in business these days without telling the occasional lie? God hates “a lying tongue” see what Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:25. We need to pray David’s prayer in Psalm 120:2.
- Heartless Cruelty – “hands that shed innocent blood”
We quite naturally think of Cain and Abel (Genesis 4:1-15). In the New Testament we read about Cain, who shed innocent blood when he killed Abel (1 John 3:11-12,15). Do you hate anyone? Then in God’s sight you are a murderer, and God hates murderers.
- Vicious Scheming – “a heart that devises wicked schemes”
We are reminded here of the source of evil which begins inside. See what Jesus said (Matthew 15:18-19). How different was Dorcas in Acts 9:36; and Barnabas (Acts 11:24).
- Mischievous Eagerness – “feet that are quick to rush into evil”
Here are feet that run to do mischief! This is the Devil’s work because he “prowls around like a roaring lion” (1 Peter 5:8). God hates this mischief. What are your feet doing? Are they the beautiful feet of Romans 10:15?
- Social Slander – “a false witness who pours out lies”
An old writer has said, “This is an accursed thing! It works oftentimes by other means than words: by a look or a shrug of the shoulders it levels its poisoned arrows; it has broken many a virtuous heart and stained many a virtuous reputation. It has nodded away many a good name, and winked into existence a host of suspicions, that have gathered round and crushed the most chaste and virtuous of our kind. It often works in the dark, and generally under the mask of truthfulness and love.” God hates slander - see what He says about it in Ephesians 4:29 and 32.
- Divisive Strife – “a man who stirs up dissension among brothers”
This perhaps is the worst of the seven sins. Another old writer refers to the man who by “tale bearing, untrue stories, half-truths, subtle insinuations, produces the disruption of friendships and the break-up of fellowship…” God hates this!
This is a dreadful subject but perhaps it is needed, and we must ask the question, How can we be released from these things which God hates and filled with those things which He loves?
- We must be honest with ourselves and with God; let the searchlight of His Word and of the Holy Spirit come into our hearts and reveal the things which displease Him. Then we must admit our wrong, confess our sin and forsake that which grieves the Lord (2 Corinthians 7:1).
- We must seek and receive the cleansing of Christ’s precious blood. Thank God, this is available for the saint and for the sinner! (1 John 1:7).
- We must rely upon the Holy Spirit for victory (2 Corinthians 3:17).