7 Interesting Facts about the Birth of Jesus:
1. Jesus Was Born in the Same Village as King David
2. The Birth of Jesus Ruined Joseph’s Reputation
Matthew 13:55: “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?”
3. Jesus’ Birth Came after 400 Years of Silence from God
4. Joseph Could Have Had Mary Killed for Adultery
In Christian circles now, if adultery occurs, most likely the couple will divorce. But according to Old Testament practices (Leviticus 20:10) if someone committed adultery, this could get them killed.
Joseph, when he discovers Mary’s pregnancy, decides to attempt to divorce her quietly instead of sentencing her to death. Thankfully, an angel appears to him and explains Jesus’ true identity. Joseph proceeds with his marriage to Mary, no matter how much it will tarnish his reputation.
5. Jesus Was Probably Not Born in December
6. The Story Intentionally Draws a Contrast between Jesus and John the Baptist
7. The Wise Men Were Not There
Many of you might have heard that the wise men did not appear during the night of Jesus’ birth, no matter what nativity scenes may try to tell you. In fact, it took them about two years to make the trek from their homeland to Judea, when they approached Herod. This means they did not see Jesus until he’d reached the age of two. Hence why Herod tries to kill children around that age.